Monday, April 8, 2013

Vegan Pot Pie

So I have been MIA again but I do have a few recipes to add. I have just been so busy that honestly I have not made that many new things. Also this is my 50TH recipe on here! I honestly can not believe that I have created 50 recipes on my own. I am very excited to share this one with you because I have been craving a good-ol Marie Calenders pot pie for a while. Usually when I get an idea in my head I google it to see what others have done (or I look on pintrest) just to get some ideas to help me out. Well I did that with this one and was not really impressed with any of them. I just kept thinking haven't these people had a pot pie before? They were just not what I was imagining. So I just went with it I knew what I wanted it to taste like and I created it. It came out absolutely PERFECT and I was unable to finish my entire pie and enjoyed part of it for lunch today too. So delicious. 

Well, tonight is the Final game of March Madness and I am extremely sad. I love watching all of the games because they are always so exciting. I am rooting for Michigan because that is where my Mom went to school. Plus I hate when 1 seeds win. My family (most from Michigan) is currently arguing in a group message as to who they are rooting for. Cousin Krystal and Mom went to Michigan and cousin Tom went to state. Most of the family would rather see State in the finals but we always like a good family rivalry. All the smack talk is kind of funny and even though State is not in the tournament anymore the smack talk continues. Anyway, GO BIG BLUE!!!!! and here is the amazing recipe!!!!




Dough
2 1/2 cups flour
4 tablespoons vegan butter
1 cup cold water
1 tablespoon salt

Filling
1/2 yellow onion
2 stalks celery
3/4 cups frozen mixed vegetables 
(carrots, corn, peas & green beans)
3 medium mushrooms
1 vegetable boullion or 
1 tablespoon vegetable better then boullion
2 cups almond milk
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons corn starch
salt/pepper
cayenne  
2 tablespoons olive oil

Makes: 2 medium pot pies
Total Cook time: about an hour & a half

Directions
1. First you are going to want to make your dough. In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and butter. Slowly add the water as needed. You may need less or more then a cup it just depends. Continue to kneed the dough until it sticks together. You will want to keep kneeding it for at least 5 minutes. Form it into a ball and cover in saran wrap and place in the fridge until later.

2. Next you will want to get your vegetables going. You want to dice your onion very fine. The celery you can leave a little bigger but you do not want huge chunks either. Place these in a medium pan with the olive oil on medium heat. Once they start to soften you will want to add the mixed vegetables. When they start to defrost you will want to slice your mushrooms and add them as well. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Continue cooking until everything is defrosted and soft. Remove from heat and set aside. 

3. Time to make the sauce. In a medium pot pour in the almond milk and vegetable boullion and place on medium heat. Bring it to a boil. Add the nutritional yeast and cayenne. Once it starts to boil reduce heat and you will want to add the corn starch according to the directions on the back of the package. Whisk this in until the it begins to thicken. Once it begins to thicken add the vegetables and bring back to a boil. Continue whisking and eventually remove from heat and set aside until you are ready with the dough. 

Preheat Oven to 375

4. Time to roll out the dough. You want to roll out to bigger pieces and to smaller pieces. The bigger pieces need to be big enough to cover the bottom and the sides and the smaller pieces the top. You can cut it to size as well. You want to use non stick cooking spray to spray the bottom and sides of the pans you are using. Place the big pieces on the bottom and sides and make sure it fits perfectly. Add the filling evenly between the two. Place the smaller pieces on top and cut it to fit. Spread some olive oil evenly on top and if you want add some garlic salt for flavor. 

5. Place in oven and let cook anywhere from 30-45 minutes. You will want to check it frequently and adjust the temperature as you fell necessary. You do not want it to cook to fast because you need it to cook all the way through and you also do not want the top to cook. When it appears to be cooked all the way through remove from oven and let cook for at least 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy! Be careful when touching the pan as it will be EXTREMELY hot!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment