Friday, January 11, 2013

Vegan Baked Broccoli Mac and Cheese

Vegan Baked  Broccoli Mac and Cheese

This is something else I have been saying I want to make for a long time. We got home way to late last night and I knew this would be simple. Plus I had all the ingredients. I have not made it to the grocery store yet so all I have is what I left while I was away and the 5 things Jimmy bought before I came back. So as of right now I have a very limited selection. It came out so creamy and delicious and it baked so nicely we both really enjoyed it. This will probably be a meal we will remember for a long time because today my table bases from Florida finally arrived!!!!' While I was cooking Jimmy had to figure out how to piece the one together. But he finally did it. So last night was our first official night eating on a table since we have lived in our apartment since October. It was almost kind of weird and is going to take some getting use to, but very exciting at the same time. I can't wait to set up my placemats and reorganize everything so it's not all cluttered! Well, anyway here is the recipe and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did last night and for lunch today :) 

Ingredients 
3/4 box pasta
2 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
8 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 onion (diced very thin )
Fresh broccoli about 5-6 florets cut
1 tablespoon corn starch 
Oil (about 2 tablespoons) 
Bread crumbs (to taste) 
Salt/pepper
Italian seasoning 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

1. Cook pasta (leave a little aldente) as it will continue to cook in the oven
2. In a medium saucepan cook finely diced onion in oil until very soft. 
3. Add almond milk, nutritional yeast and broccoli and bring to a boil. Stir frequently. Once it is boiling remove from heat and add corn starch according to directions. Keep stirring until sauce begins to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Combine pasta with cheese sauce and place in a glass pan. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of pasta and add a little Italian seasoning. 
5. Bake in oven for about 20-30 minutes or until pasta is starting to brown. Make sure you keep an eye on it so you don't burn it.

Serve hot and enjoy :)



No comments:

Post a Comment