Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Vegetable Chili


This idea came from my Aunt Dee down in Orlando. She mentioned it to when while I was visiting at Christmas and then emailed me her recipe. Of course I took my own plan of action and kind of made some parts up as I went but there were definitely a few parts that I would not have thought to add to a chili. I was in the mood for something homey when I woke up on Sunday and decided I was going to attempt it. I do not have a crockpot but if you do I highly recommend using it for this. Of course you can add or take out anything you would like but here is my simple 
and delicious vegetable chili recipe!!!!

Ingredients
1 medium onion
Red, yellow, orange or green pepper (or combination of all)
2 large mushrooms
1 tomato
4 cloves garlic
Green onions
1 can corn
1 can black beans
1 can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
1 small can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
1 cup uncooked pasta
Daiya cheddar cheese
Tofuti sour cream
Olive oil
Chili powder or taco seasoning
Lawrys seasoned salt
Pepper

Directions
Dice all of your vegetables. ( you can do the green onions later). In a large pot place olive oil, onions, peppers, garlic and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the corn, black beans, canned tomatoes, and tomato. Cook for another 5 minutes. 
Add the water and tomato paste. Mix until paste is combined. Add the chili powder and/or taco seasoning, and Lawrys seasoned salt. Add as much or little as you like depending on how spicy you want it. You may want to add more as it cooks as well. 
Cover the pot and cook for at least 2 hours but the longer you cook it the better it will be. At some point while it is cooking make your rice according to the directions on the package. When you are ready to eat preheat the oven to about 450 degrees. Place about 1/4 cup of cooked rice in the bottom of a bowl (something that can go in the oven). On top of the rice place a few spoonfulls of the chili. FIll it pretty close to the top of the bowl. Add your daiya  cheddar cheese on top of the chili. Place in the oven for about 5-10 minutes or until or cheese is melted. Don't forget if you haven't cut your green onions to do that now! Remove from oven and place a spoonful of tofuti sour cream on top and sprinkle your green onions on top. Serve your chili hot and enjoy. Be careful not to touch the bowl with your bare hands as it will be EXTREMELY hot. 

***If anyone has suggestions as to what other vegetables would work with this recipe let me know! Like I said I really enjoy suggestions to help make my food even better***

:) :) :)


No comments:

Post a Comment