Sunday, February 24, 2013

Vegan Taco Quesadillas

YUM YUM YUM!!!! All I can really say about this recipe. My mom surprised me with a Quesadilla maker before Christmas and I have only used it handful of times. When I was in Florida for Christmas I bought some tofurkey vegetable pieces to help my dad out because I knew he would want to make tacos one night. But it was so gross because it came already seasoned and I would prefer to season it myself. Anyway I was at the local grocery store last week and I had a coupon for Boca anything when I came across the vegan vegetable crumbles that were not seasoned,  I was so excited. Anyway I didn't buy any hard taco shells even though they are my favorite because I still had soft ones at home. My mom has told me that she and my dad have used ground beef in the quesadilla maker before so I figured I would give it a shot. And that is how I came up with VEGAN TACO QUESADILLAS!!!! I hope you make this recipe and enjoy it as much as I did because they were awesome!!!


Total Cook Time: 1 hour
Makes: 2 medium quesadillas 

Ingredients
1/2 bag boca veggie crumbles
1/2 yellow onion
3/4 medium red pepper
lettuce
1 tomato
2 green onions
4 medium taco shells
taco seasoning
3/4 cup water
daiya cheddar cheese
tofuti sour cream
garlic salt
olive oil
spray oil
Gucamole (click for recipe)

Directions
In a medium pan add boca veggies crumbles with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place on medium heat until they are defrosted. Once they are defrosted add the water and taco seasoning. The more seasoning you add the more flavor so it all depends on what you are looking for. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let cook until water has evaporated. Next dice your yellow onion and pepper and place in a different pan with some olive oil. Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until they are soft. Toss them in with the veggies crumbles and mix around. While that is still cooking cut up your lettuce, tomato and green onions. Place in separate bowls as they will be used for garnish. Once the water has evaporated remove the pan with the veggie pieces, onions and pepper from heat. Turn on your quesadilla maker. If you do not have one you can just use your oven I would turn the oven on to about 450 degrees. Take 2 shells and place on 2 separate plates. Sprinkle with some daiya cheddar cheese. Add the veggie pieces (with onions and peppers) evenly on top and add a little more daiya cheddar. Place another taco shell on top of both. Spray either your quesadilla maker with spray oil or your pan with spray oil. Spray the top of your quesadilla with some more spray oil and add some garlic salt. Cook for about 5 minutes or until it is crispy. If you are cooking it in the oven it may take almost 15 minutes to get crispy. Use a pizza cutter and cut into 6 even pieces. Serve hot with lettuce, tomato, green onion, tofuti sour cream and your homemade qucamole. 







No comments:

Post a Comment