Friday, November 9, 2012

Avocado Hummus Flatbread

I ended up only working half a day yesterday, not what I was hoping for but hey I got the afternoon off. While sitting on the couch working on this I decided I wanted to try and make homemade flat bread. While Jimmy was at work I made the dough. I kind of made up my own recipe and it came out really good. I think I am going to try it without yeast next time though and see what happens. Avocados are on sale again this week so we had picked a few up the night before. I let Jimmy decide between avocado hummus or white bean hummus for the sauce. He chose avocado hummus. We picked out a bunch of vegetables from the fridge and I told him to leave the kitchen. He just messes everything up and picks at all my food lol  

Dough 
1 1/2 cup whole what flour
1 cup flour (some extra for dusting)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/4 cups warm water
active rise yeast
garlic salt
dry parsley

1. Combine sugar water and yeast and let sit for about 10 minutes until it starts to foam.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and kneed for about 5 minutes. 
3. Form into a ball and place in clean bowl. Coat with olive oil and cover with damp cloth. Let rise for at least an hour. 

Avocado Hummus 
2 avocados (pitted)
1 can chickpeas (drained)
1 tablespoon lime juice
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
salt 
pepper 

1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. 

Flat breads                       
flat bread dough
avocado hummus
fresh spinach                          you can obvisouly
1 red onion                          make it without shrimp
2 cloves garlic                  as pictured here as well :)
1 tomato
5-6 mushrooms
1 large leek
shrimp
2 tablespoons olive oil
garlic salt
steak seasoning

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
2. Roll out dough into one large flat bread or 2 medium sized flat breads. Place on greased oven tray.
3. Coat with olive oil and place on oven for about 5 minutes.
4. Remove dough from oven and let cool.
In the meantime cut all vegetables. In a small pan place sliced red onion with olive oil and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until onion is soft. Also marinate shrimp with garlic salt and steak seasoning.
5. Spread the avocado hummus on top of cooled flat breads.
6. Place all vegetables and shrimp on top of hummus.
7. Place back in oven for about 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Be careful to not burn the crust.
8. Let cool, cut and serve :)

Here is the final product (with shrimp) YUMMY!!!!!!!!


1 comment: