Saturday, November 3, 2012

Black Bean Quinoa Burgers

Something I definitely miss is a nice juicy burger. I fell in love with black bean burgers in the spring. The texture is definitely a little different and not the exact same but the flavors are all there. While I was running my parents business in September when they went on vacation my best friend from high school and I had a few "date" nights. She had been telling me about these quinoa burgers she makes and brought it over for me one night. Now I had never had quinoa before and was a little skeptical. Lets just say she was totally right and they were delicious. After my move to Colorado I have had a lot of time on my hands. I did some research looking for a black bean burger recipe. When I came across one with quinoa I knew I had to try it. My boyfriend loves red peppers so I thought it would add a little flare into the burgers. I remember Leanne having some issues with the burgers getting too warm before she cooked them so I made them before I picked Jimmy up from work and put them in the fridge. They definitely cooked better but you have to make sure they get warm all the way through. Lets just say we had them 2 nights in a row because of the leftovers! This will be on the menu again soon :) 

Burgers

1/2 cup quinoa
1/2 red pepper 
1 small white/yellow onion
2-3cloves garlic
1 can black beans drained
1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil
Garlic salt
Steak seasoning

1. Cook quinoa a cording to directions.
2. While its cooking chop all ingredients ( you don't have to go crazy it's all going into the food processor)
3. Once quinoa is cooked let cool for a few minutes.
4. Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend. Once it's a good consistency you can stop. Don't over process it.
5. Form mixture into 4 medium sized burgers. Place on plate and refrigerate for at least an hour.
6. In medium sized pan heat olive oil
7. Place burgers in pan and cook. Flip over a few times until both sides are browned and center is warm.

Serve on hamburger rolls or inside a pita. Add whatever toppings you would like. 
 (lettuce, tomato, onion ketchup etc.)



I Served this with the homemade red potato french fries too!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a real burger! Lol and putting the mix in the fridge for a little before always seems to help me! :) make me some!

    ReplyDelete