Friday, November 2, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

So the day after I arrived in Colorado my boyfriend and I went on our first grocery shopping experience together. While I was throwing just about every vegetable you could imagine in the cart he grabs a butternut squash. I had never cooked with one before but funny thing was two nights earlier my friend made butternut squash soup for my going away dinner. I was pretty excited to try and make homemade soup. I made it during the week and it was pretty good but I knew I could do better. I decided to make it again tonight. So I sat down and starting making up a recipe. I have seen recipes with potatoes and I only had red so I figured it couldn't be that bad. I went through my fridge and this is what I came up with. It was DELICIOUS. I can not wait for lunch tomorrow :)

Soup 
1 medium to large butternut squash
1 medium white/ yellow onion
2-3 medium red potatoes peeled
1-2 stalks celery
1 leak (optional)
2 green onions (optional)
3-4 cloves garlic 
Olive oil
2 tablespoons Earth Balance buttery spread
Brown sugar
Salt 
Pepper
4 cups vegetable broth 

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cut butternut squash in half and removes seeds. Coat lightly with melted fake butter and brown sugar. Place on greased or non stick oven pan and place in oven for about 45 mins or until, soft. Be careful not to burn. 
3. In a pot place onions, leak, green onions, garlic and celery chopped with olive oil. Let simmer until onions are soft.
4. In the meantime peel and chop potatoes into squares. Place in pot with broth.  Bring to a boil until potatoes are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
5. When squash is soft remove from oven let cool and remove the inside. 
6. Place all ingredients in food processor and mix until smooth. You may need to do more then one batch.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste and serve. :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment