Sunday, November 25, 2012

Mushroom Soup

Growing up my dad always made some kind of homemade soup on Sundays. Being so busy during the week I loved Sundays because it included eating, football and resting ALL day long. Since moving out to Colorado I have been trying to make different soups on Sundays just like pops. Last night I could not sleep if my life depended on it. I tossed and turned so much I almost went to the couch. Anyway while lying there it came to me; Mushroom Soup! I LOVE MUSHROOMS (unlike my sister who is deathly afraid of them because there a fungus) so when I thought of this i was very excited. I looked up some ideas while lying there and knowing what I had in the house this is what I came up with. Also I did make Jimmy stop at the store after our wonderful hike for some cool mushrooms. I picked up some different types to help add to the flavor. Anyway I hope you enjoy it!

Happy Sunday :)  


Mushroom Soup

1 white onion diced
1 shallot diced (optional)
3 gloves garlic
2-3 cups assorted mushrooms (sliced)
4 cups vegetable broth
1 1/4 cup almond milk
2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
3tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with water
Salt
Pepper
4 green onions diced
3 tablespoons vegan butter

1. In large saucepan combine butter, onion, garlic and shallot. Turn on medium heat and let cook until onions are soft.
2. Add mushrooms and let cook for about 3 minutes. 
3. Add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Let simmer for about 45 minutes covered. 
4. Remove about half the mushrooms and add place in food processor. Process until smooth and put back in pot with remaining mushrooms and broth.
5. Add milk, sour cream, flour and corn starch.
6. Let simmer for about 25 minutes until soup has thickened. 
7. Place in bowls( should make 4 bowls) and put chopped green onions on top.

                                                          Serve hot and enjoy :)


1 comment: