Thursday, November 8, 2012

Vegan Stuffed Shells

I randomly bought a thing of tofu when I was at this local natural food store because it was on sale. I had yet to cook with it and I figured I would find someway to use it, especially with my new cook book, plus is was on sale. My boyfriend looked at me like I was nuts when I brought him home but I told him we would try it and if it was that bad then I wouldn't buy it again. Anyway I was sitting on the couch one night reading my new cook book when I found this recipe and realized I had ALL of the ingredients. I got Jimmy on board to try it and I decided I would make it the next week. I was very excited to make and try it. We had it for dinner and for lunch the next day and I can't wait to make it again or try it in a lasagna recipe.  The tofu ends up having the same texture as ricotta and lets just say I loved it. Most of this recipe is fom Chole Coscarelli, I have changed a few things. 

Shells
1 pound jumbo shells

1. Bring large pot of water to a boil

2. Cook shells until tender ( don't fully cook as they will cook more later in the oven)
3. Let cool for at least 5-10 minutes

Tofu Ricotta
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow/white onion chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 14-ounce package extra firm tofu, drained
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt
pepper
fresh basil

1. In a pan combine olive oil and onions and saute until onions are soft. 

2. Combine all ingredients except the fresh basil in food processor. 
3. Once almost smooth add basil (to taste) and process until smooth
4. Add salt and pepper to taste

Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil                                                     
4 garlic cloves, minced
italian seasoning 
salt
pepper
1 can crushed tomatoes 
1/4 cup store bought sauce
1/4 cup almond milk
1 tablespoon brown sugar                                          


1. In a pan combine garlic (chopped), olive oil, and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 2 minutes. 

2. Add crushed tomatoes & sauce & bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes
3. Add almond milk and brown sugar. 

Stuffed Shells
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place some of the sauce in bottom of a glass pan. Open shell and add ricotta until full.  Do this until you run out of ricotta or shells (whatever comes first). Pour remaining sauce on top of shells. Cover shells with foil and bake for 15 minutes. Uncover shells and cook for another 15 minutes or until shells are golden brown. At this point you may add daiya mozzarella cheese if you would like as well. This is a vegan friendly cheese. Let cool and serve warm! 

The left half has the daiya cheese and the right has regular mozzarella for Jimmy haha

No comments:

Post a Comment