Sunday, November 25, 2012

Vegan Stuffed Peppers

I have been wanting to make these for a few weeks now and finally broke down and did it today. I can not take any credit for this recipe. I completely stole this from my friend/ex coworker Maria, who I miss very much. She sent it to me the other night and I just had to try it. I did make 4 peppers instead of 3 (because then we have dinner for tomorrow too!) After a long day of cleaning and hiking it is the exact comfort food I needed. I mean the soup was not going to be enough so this is what I made to go along with it. It was amazing and I can not wait for leftovers tomorrow :)

This is where we                                                                             Jimmy & I at
hiked today. Mount                                                                            the top :)
Sopris is back :)



 Stuffed Peppers
 4 green bell peppers
 1 1/4 cup rice (makes a little more then 2   cups)
 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
 1 tomato (diced)
 1 cup mushrooms (diced)
 3 pieces whole wheat bread (diced)
 1/2 cup caned tomato sauce
daiya mozzarella cheese                        


                            Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Cut off tops of green peppers and remove seeds. Place into oven pan.
2. Make the rice according to the directions. Once cooked let sit and cool down.
3. Once rice is cooled, combine with mushrooms, tomato, onion and bread. Mix until it is starting to stick together. Add salt and pepper to taste. 
4. One by one fill peppers with rice mixture. Place in oven for about 15 minutes.
5. Take out of oven and add daiya cheese on top of peppers. Place back into oven for about 10 more minutes or until peppers  are soft. 
6. Remove from pan and cut in half. Add sauce to flavor on top of peppers.

:) :) :) 
Peppers

Stuffing




                                                                                                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment